This Historic Marker was made possible through a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation® awarded to the Ulster County Clerk’s Office. The grant provided funding for the manufacturing of an historic marker which is placed at the “Four Corners” intersection. Each stone house at the intersection of Crown and John Streets pre-dates the Revolutionary War. The County Clerk’s Archives provided primary source documents for each stone house verifying their origins were prior to the Revolutionary War. The historic houses at this intersection are:
- the Matthewis Persen House built in 1661,
- the Kingston Academy built pre-1773,
- the Dr. Matthew Jansen House built circa 1663,
- and the Franz Roggen House built pre-1767.