Q: If a record is sealed, who can have access to it?

A: For divorce records, only the parties involved and their attorneys of record may have access to the file. For sealed criminal records, the answer varies depending on the legal statute under which the case was sealed and the documents being requested.  Please contact the County Clerk’s Office at (845) 340-3288.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

A: Divorce files are available to the plaintiff or defendant or their attorney of record. Divorce papers cannot be released to any other interested party.  You may view or receive copies of a divorce case by mailing in a notarized letter stating the parties involved, the index number, the filing date and the type of records sought. If you appear in person at our office you must have a driver’s license for identification purposes.

Q: What do I need to do to have my name changed?

A: Please visit http://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/NameChange/forms.shtml for information and forms regarding name changes.

Q: How do I obtain a Certificate of Disposition for a criminal case?

A: Certificate of Disposition can be obtained from our office. A request form must be completed (Criminal Certificate of Disposition Request Form). The fee for a Certificate of Conviction is $5.00. You may send the request form into the Ulster County Clerk's Office with the required fee. Processing time is approximately 7 to 10 days.  For further questions you can contact our office at 845-340-3040.