Q: Do I need an appointment to come into the Clerk’s Office?

A: Yes Appointments are necessary for some of the transactions performed in the Clerk’s Office.  You must make an appointment to do a DMV transaction at Make a DMV Appointment. Please go to https://clerk.ulstercountyny.gov/countyclerk/motor-vehicles/services for further information on DMV services. In addition, you must make an appointment to process a passport application by calling 845-340-3270.  To obtain further information on Passport processing please go to: https://clerk.ulstercountyny.gov/countyclerk/passports/apply-for-passport

Q: Can I get custom military or veteran license plates?

A: Yes. For more information, visit https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/military-and-veterans.

Q: How do I add the Veteran designation on my Driver's License?

A: If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NY State driver's license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.  There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.  After you receive the veteran designation, it will automatically be on all of your future DMV documents (when you replace or renew).  To apply, you must provide one proof of an honorable discharge.  Acceptable proofs are (1) a U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge; (2) a form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge; (3) if discharged before January 1,1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper"; or (4) a Certification of Military Service (NA FORM 13038) that indicates a discharge that is either "honorable” or "under honorable conditions."  For more information, visit https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/veteran-status-designation-photo-document