On November 14, 2023, the Ulster County Clerk’s Office created a Registry for Domestic Partners and accepted for filing, Affidavits of Domestic Partnerships pursuant to Local Law 9-2023.
How can I register a Domestic Partnership?
Registering a Domestic Partnership may allow you and your partner to qualify for family discounts, employee benefits, health benefits, and may open the door to legal benefits previously difficult or impossible to obtain for unmarried couples in close, committed relationships.
The Office of the Ulster County Clerk can assist you in registering your Domestic Partnership. You will need to (1) Establish that you are eligible to register; (2) Complete a Statement of Domestic Partnership Affidavit; and (3) File your affidavit and fee in the Office of the Ulster County Clerk. Details on each step follow, but if you still have a question, please call (845) 340-3288 or email countyclerk[at]co.ulster.ny[dot]us.
To be eligible to register as Domestic Partners in Ulster County
Both parties to the partnership must be present when the affidavit is submitted for filing. A domestic partnership may be registered by two people who meet all of the following conditions:
- Either (a) both persons are residents of Ulster County, or (b) at least one partner is employed by the County of Ulster on the date of registration;
- Both persons are eighteen (18) years of age or older and mentally competent to execute a contract;
- Neither of the parties is legally married to a third party;
- Neither of the persons is a party to another domestic partnership, or has been a party to another domestic partnership within the six (6) months immediately prior to registration;
- The persons are not related to each other by blood in a manner that would bar their marriage in the State of New York;
- The persons have a close and committed personal relationship, live together and have been living together on a continuous basis for at least one (1) year;
- The persons return a completed Statement of Domestic Partnership Affidavit. When filling out the affidavit, please be sure the names of both partners and their home address are clearly printed. Both partners must sign the affidavit and the signatures of each partner must be notarized. Notary services are available at the County Clerk's Office.
Requirements for Submitting Proof of Financial Interdependence
The parties to the partnership must submit at least two (2) items of proof evidencing their financial interdependence from among the following list:
- Joint Bank Account: Both names on statement, check or passbook.
- Joint Credit Card: Both names on statement.
- Joint Obligors on Loan: Both names on note or other loan origination document.
- Joint Tenants on Lease: Both names on Lease.
- Joint Ownership of Residence: Both names on deed or other sale/transfer document, property tax document, or mortgage agreement.
- Joint Custody of a Child.
- Common Household Expenses: Both names on utility/telephone bill or public assistance documents.
- Joint Vehicle Ownership: Both names on Title.
- Joint Wills: Copy of Will or Wills, with each party naming the other as beneficiary and/or executor.
- Power of Attorney: Copy of Powers of Attorney with each party naming the other party and no limitations on the term of the documents.
- Health Care Proxy: Copy of Health Care Proxies/Living Wills, with each party giving the other party the power to make healthcare/non-resuscitation decision upon incapacitation.
- Life Insurance: Copy of policy with one party naming the other as beneficiary.
- Retirement Benefits: Copy of beneficiary designation form with one party designating the other as beneficiary.
- Joint Membership: Church or family organization.
- Daycare: Joint responsibility for childcare as evidenced by school documents or guardianship.
- Tax Returns.
- Joint Investments: Both names on investment securities, mutual fund statements, or brokerage account statements.
- Registration: Domestic Partnership filed in a different state or municipality which recognizes such partnerships.
- Affidavit: By a creditor or other person able to testify to partner's financial interdependence.
- County Clerk: Other proof establishing economic interdependence, as determined by the County Clerk.
To file your Affidavit in the Office of the Ulster County Clerk
Both parties must be present at time of filing. A staff member is available to serve as Notary Public as long as you provide valid identification. There is a $35.00 filing fee payable by cash, certified check or money order payable to the "Ulster County Clerk", or credit/debit card. Our office is located in the Ulster County Office Building at 244 Fair Street, 2nd Floor in Kingston. The office is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm.
Any person who willfully makes a material misrepresentation under Section X of this law shall be guilty of a violation punishable by a fine not to exceed five hundred ($500.00) dollars.
To Terminate a Domestic Partnership
A domestic partnership shall terminate whenever one of the parties to the partnership marries a third party or upon the death of one of the parties. Otherwise, if either party or both parties to a registered domestic partnership determines that the partnership has terminated, one of the partners shall file a termination statement with the County Clerk. The person filing the termination statement shall declare that the domestic partnership is terminated and, if the termination statement has not been signed by both domestic partners, that the other domestic partner has been notified of such termination by registered mail, return receipt requested.
If your Domestic Partnership comes to an end, you are required to file a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership Affidavit in the Office of the Ulster County Clerk. There is a $35.00 filing fee payable by cash, certified check or money order payable to the "Ulster County Clerk", or credit/debit card. Our office is located in the Ulster County Office Building at 244 Fair Street, 2nd Floor in Kingston. The office is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm.
Domestic Partnership Forms
To read the full Local Law No. 9 of 2023, click here.