While the Ulster County Clerk’s Office is happy to assist you with the renewal of your passport you may be able to renew your passport via mail.  You may apply for passport renewal by mail if you already have a passport that is not damaged, you received it within the past 15 years, and you were at least age 16 when it was issued. In order to apply via mail, you should complete an APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT BY MAIL FORM DS-82.

  1. Fill out renewal form DS-82 legibly in BLACK INK ONLY or use the online form filler at travel.state.gov.  (To download and print a blank form visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html)

  1. You must submit your most recent passport with your application. Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but generally it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport.

  1. If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. 

Examples include:

    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce decree
    • Court-ordered name change document

Your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.

  1. Attach one photograph to the application. 

  1. Include the fees made payable to the “U.S. Department of State” in the form of a personal check or money order The application fees listed below are for routine service.

New Fees Effective 12/27/2021:



Application Fee

Passport Book



Passport Card 



Passport Book & Card



Make checks or money orders payable to "U.S. Department of State." 

  1. Mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to one of the addresses listed on the renewal form.  

For more information about renewing a passport, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/renew-by-mail.html