Q: Who can access/obtain copies of DD 214 Military Discharge/Separation records?

A: No filed certificate or any information contained therein shall be disclosed to any person except the veteran or parent, spouse, dependent or child of the veteran, representative of the estate of the deceased veteran or a public official, acting within the scope of his or her employment, unless such disclosure is authorized in writing by the veteran. For more information, please Contact Us.

Q: Can my spouse use my FAVOR card or obtain his/her own?

A: At this time, the FAVOR card is only available to the veteran or a surviving spouse, if the veteran is deceased.

Q: How do I get my favorite merchant(s) to participate in the FAVOR program?

A: Merchants can fill out the Merchant Application Form available on our website or in hardcopy at the Clerk’s Office.  If there is a particular merchant you would like to participate in this program, please feel free to bring them a copy of the application form or direct them to our website to fill one out.

Q: Is there a fee to obtain a FAVOR card?

A: No. This is a free service offered to veterans.

Q: What is the Veteran ID card I've heard about and how do I obtain one?

A: The “Return the F.A.V.O.R.” Veteran Discount Program (Find & Assist Veterans Of Record) is a way that our county can recognize the service and sacrifices made by our veterans.  The program allows eligible individuals to receive a free picture I.D. card which identifies them as an honorably discharged veteran or the surviving spouse of an honorably discharged veteran and allows them to obtain discounts on goods and services at participating businesses. For more information about obtaining a F.A.V.O.R. card, please visit the Return the F.A.V.O.R. page.  

Q: Can I get custom military or veteran license plates?

A: Yes. For more information, visit https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/military-and-veterans.

Q: How do I add the Veteran designation on my Driver's License?

A: If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NY State driver's license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.  There is no additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document, but all regular transaction fees will apply.  After you receive the veteran designation, it will automatically be on all of your future DMV documents (when you replace or renew).  To apply, you must provide one proof of an honorable discharge.  Acceptable proofs are (1) a U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge; (2) a form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge; (3) if discharged before January 1,1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper"; or (4) a Certification of Military Service (NA FORM 13038) that indicates a discharge that is either "honorable” or "under honorable conditions."  For more information, visit https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/veteran-status-designation-photo-document