Q: What are your hours and location?

A: You can view our hours, location and contact information for the (1) County Clerk's Office, (2) Motor Vehicles, (3) Archives and (4) Matthewis Persen House Museum.

Q: Can I get directions to your office?

A: The County Clerk’s Office is located in the Ulster County Office Building, 244 Fair Street, Kingston, NY 12401.  Directions

Q: Do I need an appointment to come into the Clerk’s Office?

A: Yes Appointments are necessary for some of the transactions performed in the Clerk’s Office.  You must make an appointment to do a DMV transaction at Make a DMV Appointment. Please go to https://clerk.ulstercountyny.gov/countyclerk/motor-vehicles/services for further information on DMV services. In addition, you must make an appointment to process a passport application by calling 845-340-3270.  To obtain further information on Passport processing please go to: https://clerk.ulstercountyny.gov/countyclerk/passports/apply-for-passport

Q: What are the fees for the services provided by the Clerk’s Office?

A: Please refer to our Fee Schedule.

Q: What forms of payment do you accept?

A: Cash  Personal checks (up to $2,500.00)  Title Company’s and Attorney’s checks (up to $5,000.00) Certified Bank Checks Money Orders Credit Cards  Exceptions: We do not accept cash for the portion of the passport fees which are payable to the U.S. Department of State. We do not accept personal checks for the payment of criminal fines, fees, and surcharges, nor for the filing of a business certificate.  

Q: Where can I find the contact information for other Ulster County departments and elected officials?

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record?

A: All birth, death, and marriage records for New York State are filed at the town, city, or village clerk’s office where the event occurred. Or you may contact the New York State Department of Health. For a complete listing of all the town, city, and village clerk’s offices for Ulster County along with their contact information, please Click Here

Q: I’m getting married. How do I obtain a marriage license?

A: Marriage licenses are obtained at the town, city, or village level clerk’s office.  You can apply to any town, city, or village within the state where you are getting married.

Q: Do I need an appointment with the County Clerk’s Office to process my passport application?

A: Appointments are necessary for passport processing performed in our office. Routine, Expedited or Priority Passport Applications are processed in the County Clerk's Office Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.  Please call 845-340-3270 to make an appointment.  

Q: What documentation do I need to bring with me to process my passport application?

A: For a first-time adult passport, bring your completed (unsigned) application, proof of citizenship, proof of identification, and 2 separate payments: one for the application fee (check or money order only) and one for the execution fee (cash, check or money order).  For more detailed information please review the Apply for a Passport section.