Q: What is the difference between a passport card and a passport book?

A: The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air. A U.S. passport book is your ticket to international travel. It allows you to travel anywhere by any means of transportation and is not limited like the card.  The passport book also allows you access to U.S. consular services and assistance while abroad. Most importantly, it allows you to re-enter the United States upon your return home.

Q: Where can I get a passport photo taken?

A: Passport Photo Services are available in the Ulster County Clerk’s Office.  Your photo can be taken at the time of application for a $10 service fee.

Q: How do I need to appear for my photo?

A: Please wear clothing normally worn on a daily basis, darker colors work best.  You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire. Take off your eyeglasses for your photo.  If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with the application. Remove any hats, head coverings, headphones or wireless hands-free devices. If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of traditional religious attire worn continuously in public. If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes. You can wear jewelry and keep on your facial piercings as long as they do not hide your face. Permanent tattoos are acceptable for passport purposes as well. Have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open. Note to parents of young children: We realize that an infant's pose and expression are challenging to maintain for a photo.  Our staff are trained to obtain the best possible photo for your child.    For photo examples, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html

Q: Other Frequently Asked Questions

A: The US Department of State Passport Services website has an extensive list of Frequently Asked Questions.   Please visit, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html to browse through the questions.

Q: I need to publish my LLC or LLP. What do I need to do?

Q: If a record is sealed, who can have access to it?

A: For divorce records, only the parties involved and their attorneys of record may have access to the file. For sealed criminal records, the answer varies depending on the legal statute under which the case was sealed and the documents being requested.  Please contact the County Clerk’s Office at (845) 340-3288.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

A: Divorce files are available to the plaintiff or defendant or their attorney of record. Divorce papers cannot be released to any other interested party.  You may view or receive copies of a divorce case by mailing in a notarized letter stating the parties involved, the index number, the filing date and the type of records sought. If you appear in person at our office you must have a driver’s license for identification purposes.

Q: What do I need to do to have my name changed?

A: Please visit http://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/NameChange/forms.shtml for information and forms regarding name changes.

Q: How do I obtain a Certificate of Disposition for a criminal case?

A: Certificate of Disposition can be obtained from our office. A request form must be completed (Criminal Certificate of Disposition Request Form). The fee for a Certificate of Conviction is $5.00. You may send the request form into the Ulster County Clerk's Office with the required fee. Processing time is approximately 7 to 10 days.  For further questions you can contact our office at 845-340-3040.  

Q: Do you have e-recording or e-filing?

A: Yes. Please visit the E-Recording page or E-Filing page for more information.