Q: How can I apply to become a notary?

A: To qualify to be a notary you must be eighteen years old, a United States citizen, a resident of New York and have no prior felony convictions. The application packet is available in the Ulster County Clerk's Office. The packet includes; an application, a test study guide, a listing of exam dates and locations.  Upon passing the examination you will receive notification in the mail from the Department of State. Return the completed application and the $60.00 fee to the NYS Department of State. You will receive your notary ID card which will be valid for four years. Every person appointed as notary public must, at the time of his or her appointment, be a citizen or permanent resident alien of the United States and either a resident of New York or have an office or place of business in New York State. For more information including application forms, study guide and test sites/dates, please visit https://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/notary/notary.html

Q: Can I get something notarized at the Clerk's Office?

A: Notary services are available at the Recording Counter during normal business hours.  There is no fee for this service.

Q: Who do I contact if I want to transfer/sell my guns?

A: Please contact the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office online or by calling (845) 340-4237 or (845) 340-3639.

Q: How do I transfer my existing pistol permit from one county to another?

A: Please see our Pistol Permits section for more information.

Q: How can I obtain a pistol permit?

A: To obtain a pistol permit, please contact the Ulster County Sheriff's Office online or by calling (845) 340-4237 or (845) 340-3639

Q: Who can access/obtain copies of DD 214 Military Discharge/Separation records?

A: No filed certificate or any information contained therein shall be disclosed to any person except the veteran or parent, spouse, dependent or child of the veteran, representative of the estate of the deceased veteran or a public official, acting within the scope of his or her employment, unless such disclosure is authorized in writing by the veteran. For more information, please Contact Us.

Q: Can my spouse use my FAVOR card or obtain his/her own?

A: At this time, the FAVOR card is only available to the veteran or a surviving spouse, if the veteran is deceased.

Q: How do I get my favorite merchant(s) to participate in the FAVOR program?

A: Merchants can fill out the Merchant Application Form available on our website or in hardcopy at the Clerk’s Office.  If there is a particular merchant you would like to participate in this program, please feel free to bring them a copy of the application form or direct them to our website to fill one out.

Q: Is there a fee to obtain a FAVOR card?

A: No. This is a free service offered to veterans.

Q: What is the Veteran ID card I've heard about and how do I obtain one?

A: The “Return the F.A.V.O.R.” Veteran Discount Program (Find & Assist Veterans Of Record) is a way that our county can recognize the service and sacrifices made by our veterans.  The program allows eligible individuals to receive a free picture I.D. card which identifies them as an honorably discharged veteran or the surviving spouse of an honorably discharged veteran and allows them to obtain discounts on goods and services at participating businesses. For more information about obtaining a F.A.V.O.R. card, please visit the Return the F.A.V.O.R. page.